Saturday, May 14, 2011

Unit 5, yooran Kim

Potentials I possess to be a writer

200903992

Yooran Kim

 

Since I was young, I have wanted to be numerous kinds of person. Just name it. I have been always busy to change my career from a president and a singer to a police officer and a stationery store owner. However, I've never changed nor given up to be one thing. It is a writer. I've always thought that I can have a second job as a writer. A Writer is not the kind of job that you need to be hired under the boss and do whatever you are told. Also no one can say exact skills a person needs to be a good writer. The qualities I will mention below are maybe subjective and not clear. But these are the qualities most of writers recommend for applicants to have.

The most basic quality needed to be a good writer is to have an insight. Lots of writers say that the insight of a writer comes from various experiences of life and scars from them. I cannot say that I was the one who had been through all the cruel and tragic events of the life, but I'm pretty sure I had suffered from my own experience and had lots of chances to agonize over the ways of world. In fact, everyone in this world has one's own happiness and sadness. Special experiences may able to help one write something interesting, but no one can react in the same way and that is why I think the most important thing is what you experienced, but how you accepted and thought about it.

The next basic quality needed to be a good writer is a keen observation. Writers never ignore or pass away what normal people just miss as they go by. It can be anything around us from things in your room to the today's news on TV. The reason why a keen observation is important is because that is what writers do. They sometimes break down the most normal and ordinary things to find out hidden meaning of it and shed new light on, so we could feel our lives and world in the different way. Basically, writers help people to retaste who and where they are, or what they are doing. That is the reason why people say we must read a lot of books to be a good person. My observation ability is not only for daily life but also for sentences. Whenever I read good sentences, I appreciate the beauty or sometimes desperation from them. I like to savor the moment. I think my being sensitive can be a good quality as a writer.

The last quality to be a good writer is an ability to create words and sentences. This skill is very essential to make one to be a good writer. Even though you have most amazing materials to write about, and a keen observation to see through everything, without authentic words and characterful sentences, you cannot attract your readers. You should have your own identity in your writing. I think I have some ability to describe well because I've always liked reading books and I didn't have many chances to watch TV or movie since I was young.

So far, I explained three basic and important skills to be a good writer. As I mentioned above, being a writer is little bit different comparing to other careers. It is pretty personal job so it doesn't need any TOEIC scores or teamwork. But because of that, because it is about one person brining his personal feeling out to the world with sophisticated words, it can be very hard to achieve without lots of practice and natural gift. Just like other careers, I must try really hard to be a good writer, especially the three qualities the most well-know writers recommended above.

4 comments:

  1. 언니!
    This was a writing that I cannot agree with more!
    The main theme for your writing is thinkings about being a good writer and you want to become a good writier at the end. And I have the same dream with you! My dream always has been being a good writer who can touch everyon's mind with interesting and fun story. Also, I and you are both in the same ship because I want that job also as my second job, with translator/interpreter!! Therefore, I was not able to stop writing your whole writing..
    Firstly, what I found good about your writing is that your writings are always very sincere. I cannot find or present any prove but I can just feel it. Your ones are always not fake at all, but you always try to say what you have in your mind. This was always made your writing interesting and made me want to read yours! I want to learn this because this is the number one qualification for good writers, in my perspective. In addition, in this writing, your opinions seem really strong although it is not argumentative essay, because your thesis statement is really strong and clear. This was what I find great and also envy.
    To mentions about a thing that can improve your writing.... Although I cannot come up with it easily, since I am not a better writer than you... I will say the last paragraph. The sentence 'But because of that, because it is about ~' uses 'two because'. This would become better if you put another word for one that has the same meaning with because, such as 'since'.
    See you in the class~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, It is very interesting to read your essay.
    As I can see that you are using very sophiscated words in your essay, I'm sure you'll achieve your dream in the future!

    I will just briefly point out one thing because Hannah Kim mentioned a lot^^

    You wrote..
    The qualities I will mention below are maybe subjective and not clear. But these are the qualities most of writers recommend for applicants to have.

    I don't think it is necessary to say this. It seems that you are not very confident about your writing below. But you did good job! So I don't think you need to be humble in the front^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd draft of Potential I possess to be a writer : Part 1

    Since I was young, I have wanted to be numerous kinds of person. Just name it. I have been always busy to change my future career from a president and a singer to a police officer and a stationery store owner. However, I’ve never changed nor given up to be one thing. It is a writer. I’ve always thought that I can have a second job as a writer. A Writer is not the kind of job that you need to be hired under the boss and do whatever you are told. Also no one can say exact skills a person needs to be a good writer. The qualities I will mention below are maybe subjective and not clear. But these are the qualities most of writers recommend for applicants to have.
    The most basic quality needed to be a good writer is to have an insight. Lots of writers say that the insight of a writer comes from various experiences of life and scars from them. I cannot say that I was the one who had been through all the cruel and tragic events of the life, but I am pretty sure that I had suffered from my own experience and had lots of chances to agonize over the ways of world. In fact, everyone in this world has one’s own happiness and sadness, and those feelings are relevant rather than absolute. Special experiences may be able to help one write something interesting, but no one can react in the same way and that is why I think the most important thing is not what you experienced, but how you accepted and thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2nd draft of Potential I possess to be a writer : Part 2

    The next basic quality needed to be a good writer is a keen observation. Writers never ignore nor pass away what normal people just miss as they go by. It can be anything around us from things in your room to the today’s news on TV. The reason why a keen observation is important is because that is what writers do. They sometimes break down the most normal and ordinary thing to find out hidden meaning of it and shed new light on, so that we could feel our lives and world in the different way. Basically, writers help people to re-taste who and where they are, or what they are doing. That is the reason why people say one must read a lot of books to be a good person. My observation ability is not only for daily life but also for sentences. Whenever I read good sentences, I appreciate the beauty or sometimes desperation from them. I like to savor the moment. I think my being sensitive can be a good quality as a writer.
    The last quality to be a good writer is an ability to create words and sentences. This skill is very essential to make one to be a good writer. Even though you have most amazing materials to write about, and a keen observation to see through everything, without authentic words and characterful sentences, you cannot attract your readers. You should have your own identity in your writing. I think I have some ability to describe well because I’ve always liked reading books since I didn’t have many chances to watch TV or movie when I was young.
    So far, I explained three basic and important skills to be a good writer. As I mentioned above, being a writer is little bit different comparing to other careers. It is a pretty personal job so it doesn’t need any TOEIC scores or teamwork. But because of that, because it is about one person brining one’s personal feeling out to the world with sophisticated words, it can be very hard to achieve without lots of practice and natural gift. Just like other careers, I must try really hard to be a good writer, especially for the three qualities the most well-know writers recommended above.

    ReplyDelete