Saturday, March 19, 2011

Jun Seok kang's writing 2

My opinion on foreign language education in early age

 

           There was the kid who couldn’t speak his language till he was 4 years old. If he took the foreign language education in the kindergarten under the stressful situation, he couldn’t be the greatest physicist who changed human history. The kid was Albert Einstein. Even the smartest person in the history was a late talker. Even though many people insist that foreign language instruction should begin in kindergarten. But I think should be leaved as a choice of parents, considering a few reasons.

           First, Foreign language instruction in early age is not good for every child. Every child has a different intelligence and growth stages. Like mentioned above, some children are late talkers and they are not ready to learn another language. They need more time to learn and get used to their own mother language. It also could be stressful for some young children to catch up another language class. In long term, it would bring loss of self-motivation to study for them. Parents exactly know their children’s states. They can decide whether it would affect their child in good way or not.

           Second, some parents have a different opinion on children’s education. Probably they have another priority on foreign language education. For instance, Mozart‘s parents focused on teaching their son music and art. In this case, their priority is not on foreign language education but on art. My parents think that children need to do physical activity not studying. They think physical activity is more important than other subjects. So they let me do sports.

Third children just need to learn essential subjects for young age, and I don’t think foreign language is one of required subjects. In my opinion they need to practice more native language in kindergarten. Early foreign language education can give a bad influence native language which is not established perfectly.

It is essential to learn foreign language in globalized society. But learning foreign language in early age should be decided by their parents and kids’ developed stage first. So I think our society’s tendency which just forced children to study English in early age should be reconsidered.

2 comments:

  1. Jun seok, you are against learning foreign language in kindergarten. Your essay is so organized that I can get your point clearly.
    very kind essay, I think.

    But there was a simple mistake. In the last second paragraph, when I first saw the 'Third children', I thought whether there are first and second children. Then, I noticed it was third in first, second, and third. A comma is little but necessary. It would be nice to try proofreading.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on your point. I really like the example of Einstein.:) You also have three reasons just like me! I think every student has their own stage of learning and we have to respect it. The points about priority in education, learning stages, and essential subjects on young age were so interesting that I kept reading with big curiosity.

    ReplyDelete