Saturday, March 12, 2011

Challenges Make People Better

  PARK, Sunghee (200801224)          
 
              In the most of movies, hero has a big heart and would volunteer to help needy people. At first, however, a typical hero is not as strong as the boss on the bad side. As he encounters and fights with a lot of monsters or henchmen, he gets stronger and stronger. And eventually, he has enough power to fight with the boss, and the hero wins the boss. Like this, every challenge gets people to be stronger because it is as if it gives us chances to learn how to deal with step by step. In my case, I met three challenges in learning English writing after I graduated from high school.

             The first problem that I need to face was 'writing for test'. Since only English is used in all my major's classes, I had to participate, do homework, and take test in English. In addition, at that time, I had never experienced an essay-style test. So I was very embarrassed when I got a question "What is sovereignty?" in Introduction to Political Science class. Even though the answer sheet is a B4 size, I couldn't fill the rest of the paper after I wrote down just three sentences. As a result, I got a D0. I had to find what the problem was. I asked my friends to give me tips for test, and they said that the answer for identification test should contain definition, the important point, and specific examples. Also, one of my friends recommended that I start memorize several English sentences as a whole in order to expand my vocabulary and expression. I practiced and it really worked. Next semester, I took the class again and I got a B+.

             When I felt I was quite accustomed to taking a test in English, the biggest problem had come. It was last year and the problem was I went to America as an exchange student. I had to take classes with native speakers in American University. Although I had experiences to take exams and to write final reports in Korea, it was a totally different situation. As soon as I attended classes, I got lots of assignments. Among them, the most freaking out one was the term paper for International Economics. The professor asked us to analyze the current issue on Greek Economy after we read 'Economist.' And I had to write my analysis with graph that I draw and to predict how it will be going to be. At that time, I did not know how to quote and what the plagiarism is. In order to write the right and well-written term paper, I went to the writing center located in the campus. When I made an appointment with mentor, I could learn about studies and the mentor edited my report. I studied how to search materials that I need in the library and a citation as APA style. Thanks to the mentor's effort, I could submit the term paper well and get an A0 in the class. Not only had that, Using database and citation really helped me to be a better writer.

             The Third challenge is the writing for business. Actually, the challenge has not come yet but I realized that it would be too late if I prepared after the difficulties come. Now, I am preparing to get a job and the writing for business will be needed in the near future. So I have studied business writing since last summer. The first thing that I learned was a 'writing an email.' I memorized useful expressions in each situation such as thank you mail, sorry mail, and dealing with complaint mail. I practiced to write a proper e-mail in a given situation and it was very useful when I need to email professors. After that, I studied how to write a complain letter, invitation, and so on. Even though there were a few chances to use these skills, I believe these make me a qualified writer in a business field.

             To summarize, every challenges had come and I had to meet them. In the process I dealt with those problems, I could get plenty of useful knowledge and information. I am not sure what the next challenge would be but I will happy to meet them. Because I totally understand it will make me better in writing English. 
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm Yoon Jin, Ko.

    I read this writing in class and it was fairly good to read. Why I thought it was good is because she added detailed information such as her grades. Those grades were clearly showed her writing skill really improved. And the contents of her body paragraph was good also becasue the problems which her had in her life time got bigger and became more seriously. It was intersting to see how she resolved her problems by realizing her skills.

    I think if she improved her conclusion more, it would be a better writing. The conclusion is too short compared to her body paragraphs, I guess.

    I really enjoyed to read this ! ^0^

    ReplyDelete
  2. About this writing
    In my opinion, this writing is well organized.
    First of all she showed how she gradually increased her writing skills through writing challenges in her life. And after that she showed how much she got improved through her efforts.
    And Also the first paragraph succeessfully catches reader's attention and it effectively shows how the writing goes on.
    Great writing buddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I like most about your literacy autobiagraphy is that it's focused on recent years and your academic writing experiences. It was something probably most people in class could relate to. The specifics on the challenges while studying made me feel like walking through the story with the writer.
    Your opening paragraph was interesting. I thought maybe linking the metaphore on heroes with your closing paragraph could make the conclusion more rich.
    The line where you wrote "...every challenge gets people to be stronger... it gives us chances to learn how to deal with step by step." struck me as powerful and seemed like the core of your piece.

    ReplyDelete