Saturday, April 2, 2011

How to Make a Volcano Erupt (Haejin Lee, Page 58, Assignment 4)

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a volcano as "a vent in the crust of the earth or another planet or a moon from which usually molten or hot rock and steam issue; also, a hill or mountain composed wholly or in part of the ejected material." Volcanos are often feared and mystified because of their severe force and violence. Then why are volcanic eruptions different in force, and what is it that triggers a volcano to erupt? A little science can take you a long way when it comes to answering this question.

First, under the surface of the earth, solid rocks and stones melt when they are heated underground over a long period of time. They become sticky liquid called lava. Then, lava forms a river just as streams meet to form a river. The river or lava is called a lava chamber. Next, the lava chamber lets out gas and pushes upwards, to rise above the crust of the earth. This is because the lava is lighter in density than the crust. That tendency of rising above the earth's surface creates pressure underneath the crust.

Finally, when the lava chamber flows to meet a crack in the earth's surface, it seeps through the opening. But in some cases, the lava is kept underneath the crust until the pressure builds up so that the crust cannot hold the lava chamber in. Then you have a volcanic eruption. The main factor in high pressure is water. The lava chamber emits normally emits gas which leads to an explosion. And the water acts as the activator, triggering the gas emission to be more explosive with higher pressure. This is when we have violant volcanic eruptions.

When a volcano erupts not only lava, but ash, cinder, and rocks are shot out of the ground's opening because gas explodes and pushes them upwards. The scale of the explosion may vary as well as the amount of substances resulted in the eruption. These substances - ash, cinder, and rocks - along with lava can pile up to form a hill or even a mountain. There are plenty of examples of these volcanos around the world from Baekdu Mountain in Korea to the infamous volcano of St. Helena, to volcanos in Hawaii islands.

Volcanoes still have much left to study, mainly because of its dangerous settings. However, the main principals behind a volcanic eruption are mostly linked to the basic rules of science. Solids under the crust of the Earth are molten into lava; then lava forms a lava chamber; lava chambers emit gas which causes lava to come upwards through the surface, and water added to lava will cause explosions that leads to big eruptions mankind has witnessed in numerous cases throughout history.


 

3 comments:

  1. Unlike my original draft I put in the mail draft, somehow all the indentions are gone in the actual post. Sorry about that. I don't know how that happened, and I don't know how to fix it either. I'll try to fix that problem from my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To___Haejin_ From __Hannah Kim___ Assignment _____Week 5_______
    1. What I like about this piece of writing is the way you organize this writing. It seems very well organized and I really envy the structure. Actually, although I have thought of the good structure for many days, it was impossible for me to come up with good idea as yours. This is a good 5 paragraph essay that shows clear process of volcano eruption.
    2. Your main point seems to be the process how volcanoes erupt.
    3. These particular words or lines struck me as powerful:
    1) I like your idea to start with a definition of volcano which is from dictionary. It makes me that your writing is really reliable. I should have realized that…..
    2) ‘Then why are volcanic eruptions different in force, and what is it that triggers a volcano to erupt?’=> I like this sentence because it is question. I feel curious when the writer asks me a question. By reading this, although it is a scientific essay, I can concentrate on more with interest. It is a really good part!!
    3)’ Volcanoes still have much left to study, mainly because of its dangerous settings.’ => I felt great about this sentence because it makes up such a great conclusion. When I write an essay, I become to focus only on the topic. It means, when I have to write about the process how volcanoes erupt, I only write about this. However, you said something that is a more general idea about the volcano and it makes me feel that it is very professional writing.

    4. The one change you could make that would make the biggest improvement in this piece of writing is about your introduction. I think the sentence ‘Volcanos are often feared and mystified because of their severe force and violence.’ is not needed because this is a scientific writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! My topic is same as yours. It makes me understand your writing easier but someone may feel it is difficult to understand.

    I usually write my introduction stating current issue. After reading your writing, I learned giving a definition can be a good introsuction as well.

    The sentence that I like most is 'it seeps through the openings' because it seems that you did research a lot and used appropriate vocabulary.

    Also I like your conclusion because you summarized the process briefly.

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete